Sunday, December 16, 2012

Let Him In-The Inn Keeper

"He then carefully lifted from the case something that resembled an arched entrance or passageway made of stone. John placed it in the nurse's hands do she could examine it more closely.

It was fascinating. It made her think of the kind of doorways people must have entered thousands of years ago. Small as it was, it had been crafted with great attention to detail. It seemed made of real stones and mortar. Thick piece of cloth hung where Constance expected to see a door.

Then Constance's eyes focused on something that had been painted on the stones above the entrance. It looked as though it had been written long ago in a language she could not understand.

"I made this myself," John said proudly. "It's the entrance to the inn where there was no room for Joseph and Mary"

"There was a man who turned away Joseph and Mary- not because he was mean or thoughtless. He was just taking care of business. What haunted him, though, was the feeling that he didn't really do all he could have done for the pregnant woman and her husband."

'I am a man forgotten; no one recalls my name.
And thousands of years will fail to fully erase the shame.
But I turned a profit nicely that day
That I turned the couple away... I turned them away.

I didn't sleep that evening, though I'd sold out my place.
Somehow I felt uneasy... Something about her face.
Why did I wish that of let the stay?
I don't think they could have paid... Or could they have paid?

Restless I left my bedroom.
I walked the streets all night,
Lost in the world I lived in.
Then found by a heavenly light!
Staring at one bright star in the sky,
I head a baby cry.

I knew where the cry had come from
'Cause if told them where to go,
But I didn't think I could face them,
So sadly I slowly walked home,
Missing my chance to share in the joy.
I never saw her boy.

He never would condemn me.
I did that all on my own.
He offered His forgiveness,
And ever since then I've known
He lets us choose each hour of each day,
If we'll let Him in to stay.

Whether it be in your world today
Or a crowded Bethlehem inn,
Find a way... make Him room... let Him in.'

Constance hung the ornament far enough on the evergreen branch that there was no danger of it accidentally falling off. And as she did, she noticed again the strange writing across the top of the ornament. John read her thoughts and answered,

"That was the inscription written by the Innkeeper over the entrance to his inn shortly before he died. I wanted to preserve it on the ornament just the way my friend had written it. It says 'Let Him In.'"
- A Man Forgotten, The Forgotten Carols by Michael McLean

This time of year is when we celebrate the birth of our Christ and Savior Jesus Christ, and sometimes we need to stop what we are doing and just think about the beauty of what this holiday season is really about.

There were so many important people who were in the background of his birth that have been forgotten and misunderstood. This story really helps to recognize those forgotten people and to see how important they really were.

I love this Christmas story so much. As a Christmas tradition my family and I read this book every year in December, and I treasure it so much. This is a tradition I want to pass on to my future home and family because it is so precious to me.

This Christmas story tells of the birth of our Savior from a different view than we are used too. It gives Christmas so much more meaning, and helps me and my family to have a Christ centered Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment